CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday 3 January 2009

I made a start - 1st progress

I am so glad I looked at the other posts before adding mine. I'm not the only one who had several false starts. I made my initial start New Year's evening. I overlooked that sentence in my pdf instructions that mentioned the x for the center. Since I am a center starter, I just sort of winged it and started with the vine above as my center point. Of course when I got to the bird's foot on the left I found the x. At this point I decided I had better check to make sure my fabric was big enough for my being nearly an inch off. I looked at the finished picture and realized that it was nearly square as the stitch count indicated. My fabric is really wide; 10 inches more than needed. Since I love this fabric and am frugal, I reasoned that if I undid my start and moved it over, I would have about 10 inches for another project and my favorite blotchy spot would be front and center. So out it came and over it went. I restarted enough to get me going before I went to girls night out dinner. Came home and started in using my Let's Stitch SAL time to buckle down and make progress. I progressed through 2/3 of right side bird and thought something is off...way back in the middle of the vine. Rip,rip, snarl,snarl. Here we go again. I finally finished the birds and vine. Showed it to my boyfriend who said are you going to leave it in, since I had asked him if the birds looked ok. I said yes...for now. I am thinking that those birds should be in a solid color. Good Grief! I am leaving it in for now and will evaluate as I go along. What do all of you think? I would value your opinons.

4 comments:

Cristina said...

Even though I like the colours, I think the birds would stand out more in a solid colour, but then I am suspect as I am a solid-colour-person.
Do as you said: leave it for now and evaluate the effect in due time.
Happy stitching

Barbara J said...

IMO with very distinct variegated threads, small motifs are lost in the colour changes. To make it worst if the variegated thread quickly changes colour.

Teresa said...

I like variegated threads- as you can tell from my choice seen a few posts down. I am a fan of either solid or variegated, but not the two mixed together. Using a solid would make the birds pop, but considering they are not actually centered on the piece, I think popping them that much might make it look like you goofed on the centering.

For what it is worth, I will be doing a couple motifs before I am sure about *my* silk color choice- when I got it, it was both lighter and more variegated (less subtle) than I expected. It is BEAUTIFUL, but I am not totally sure yet that it is right for this piece.

So, looks like we will both be stitching and seeing.

Stitchabilities said...

I would see how it looks after you have stitched more,before ripping it out!